I'm a Web Developer with 10 years experience in various programming languages and environnements, currently focusing on
I have a lot of experience dealing with high-traffic websites.
- Mozilla, from May 2013, Web Developer
Intervening with various aspects of the marketplace: consumer-facing app/website, developers website, reviewer tools and APIs.
- Libération, January 2010 - April 2013, Web Developer
My work at Libération initially consisted of helping devise the architecture for the
new backend for the website (in Python / Django, with PostgreSQL and Memcached for storage and cache),
as well as developing it from scratch.
It then evolved into giving technical advice on new projects, maintaining the existing code and developing new features.
Libération is one of the main french newspapers in circulation, and its websites receives more than 4 million unique visitors
each month (80+ million page views).
- Selected existing open-source apps to re-use, and contributed to those apps to add
missing functionality we needed, report bugs, add documentation (using github and bitbucket).
- Created and co-maintained several new open-source apps covering our own needs.
- Planned the architecture and developed new backend code from scratch in Python / Django for
Monlibé (Libération's social platform) and the website's Back-Office (re-using,
but completely adapted, the Django Admin).
- Created a simple and fast Mobile version of the site, trying to re-use existing
code as much as possible to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Helped design and develop the API used by Android, iOS, WebOS, Bada and Windows Phone devices, as well as our own Web Apps.
- Helped design developer workflow (based on Trac and mercurial).
- TELEFUN, November 2004 - December 2009, Lead Developer:
Started as a System Administrator, but quickly evolved to a Web Developer and then Lead Developer role as the Web Development team grew
from 5 to 25 people.
The main product, Skyrock.com, rose from 1 million to 30 million blogs while I was here. According to comScore, it was the world's 7th biggest social network in 2008, with 21 unique million visitors each month.
- In 2006-2007, in a small team of 5 people, rewrote most of the website from scratch over a period of 6 months to switch
from an old PHP4 codebase to a modern PHP5 object-oriented one, with a custom-made framework. Helped design the
architecture, relying on several MySQL servers and a Memcached cluster as we transitionned from generating
static pages to a fully dynamic website.
- Profiled and optimized code and data structures to better absorb the increasing traffic. Worked defining and implementing client-side
the users with an instant preview of their changes. Continued to expand its functionality and maintain it, in a small team of 2.
- In charge of reviewing others' code for security issues during 2009.
- Helped design developer workflow (based on Trac and subversion).
- Mozilla Europe, May 2004 - September 2004, Intern
Worked on integrating a multi-lingual backoffice for news publication on the website, which was used for the Press Releases
before the website was merged with Mozilla.org.
- Contributed to bugzilla.mozilla.org's Technology Evangelism section
in order to help european websites work in Mozilla products (Developed patches, contacted websites).
- Netscape, March 2002 - September 2002, Web Standards Specialist
- Server-side Web technologies: PHP5, Python (with or without Django).
- Other languages: Some (old) experience with Lua, Java, Perl, C and C++.
- Source versioning: CVS, SVN, Mercurial, Git.
- Databases: MySQL and PostgreSQL, as well as Memcached and Redis.
- Operating Systems:
- Familiar with Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, Windows, mainly using Ubuntu Linux as a work environnement.
- Experience maintaining servers using Debian, Gentoo or Ubuntu Linux.
- EPITECH (Ecole Pour l'Informatique et les nouvelles TECHnologies), 2002 to 2004:
Bachelor Epitech de Technologie de l'Information (equivalent to a bachelor's degree in Computer Science)
- UVSQ (Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin-En-Yvelines), 2000 to 2002:
DEUG Mathématiques, Informatique et Applications aux Sciences (equivalent to an Associate degree in Computer Science and Mathematics) - non completed.
Baccalauréat Scientifique, options Technologie Industrielle et Mathématiques (equivalent to a High school Diploma in sciences).
- French: fluent, mother tongue.
- English: fluent (TOEIC practice test in 2002: 940pts).
- German: some notions.
I gave a few talks and animated (sometimes with others) workshops about various subjects related to Web Developement, in french: